Dr. James Fleet’s residence
This residence belonged to one of three black physicians in the District of Columbia. In 1843, for the sum of $800, Dr. James Fleet purchased this property. Dr. Fleet studied medicine under the sponsorship of the American Colonization Society with a former assistant surgeon of the US Army The aim of the society was to return freed slaves to Liberia, Africa. Upon completion of his studies, he refused to emigrate to Liberia and the society withdrew their support. His career was spent in education and music instead of medicine. He opened his first school for blacks in 1843, which burned, and later opened his second school which became extremely popular. As a violinist, Fleet also taught music.
(Source: National Park Service and Historic Georgetown Walking Tour)