96. 2709 P Street

Photo by Andrena Crockett

Dodson

Jean Dodson Jackson and her family occupied this address. Jackson’s great-grandmother was enslaved and her grandmother moved to Georgetown from Rockville, Maryland. Her father, Dr. Joseph N. Dodson graduated from Howard University in 1924 where he was a letterman for three different sports and one of the well-known “P Street Doctors” taking patients at all hours of the night. He had his office at 2709 P Street. Dr. Dodson was one of the first physicians to be appointed to serve the District of Columbia Public Schools and he routinely treated students at the Philips School, the Wormley School, the Sumner School, the Magruder School, and Francis Junior High School. Prior to moving to P Street, Dr. Dodson was raised in the 1400 block of 36th Street near the Georgetown College Wall.

(Source: Black Georgetown Remembered)