This house was occupied by Cornelius Martin, the son of George Martin who lived with the rest of the Martin family nearby at 1515/1517 26th Street. Cornelius mother’s parents were also a long time Georgetowner. Cornelius attended the Phillips School and started work for the federal government in 1933 at the Navy Yard. There wasn’t much work in Georgetown besides domestic jobs for African Americans. He took the street car to the Navy Yard from Georgetown. Cornelius left Georgetown at age 24.