73. 1028 Wisconsin Avenue

Photo by Andrena Crockett

Debtor Prison

The Old Jail, sometimes called the Debtor’s Prison, was located at the base of High Street later renamed Wisconsin Avenue in 1891 when Georgetown was incorporated into Washington, DC. During 1890s the jail was supposedly used as a “Colored Mission.” The building was demolished in 1896. The Cherry Hill houses located in the rear of the jail on Cecil (Cissel) Place were built 1890. On the right of the jail, was a building erected in 1877 for the Washington Chariot Company, later sold to Washington – Georgetown Railroad Company, the first street car line in the city.