One of the earliest schools in Georgetown where black children could receive a quality education, the Billings attracted both African Americans and whites. Since a mixed school was unacceptable to the white community, her school closed. Mrs. Billings then opened a second school on Congress and High Street solely for black children. The school was relocated before her death in 1826.
(Source: National Park Service)