Emma Brown’s residence
Emma V. Brown opened a school for Georgetown’s black children in her home in 1861. Miss. Brown dedicated her life to educating Washington’s black children and became one of the two teachers at the first publicly financed school for blacks. This school was organized in the basement of the Ebenezer Methodist Church on Capitol Hill in 1864. Miss. Brown later became the head of the John F. Cook School on O Street, NW and the principal of the Sumner School at 17th and M Street, NW.
(Source: National Park Service)