First Baptist Church
Reverend Sandy Alexander founded the First Baptist Church of Georgetown in 1862. Alexander, formerly enslaved, moved to Georgetown in 1856, intent on forming a Baptist church. At the time, he could only identify two practicing Baptists living in Georgetown. He recruited from the newly arriving, post-Civil War residents. Preacher Collins Williams donated the land at 29th and O Street, NW to build a small church known as “The Ark”. A new church was built in 1882 on Dumbarton due to the church’s expansion. Alexander made a speaking tour of the northern states to finance the building. Reverend Alexander died on March 28, 1902. Under Reverend Alexander the church thrived and remained debt free. Former members of the congregation started the Alexander Memorial Baptist Church and the Jerusalem Baptist church.
(Source: African American Historic Trail)