Market Street Chapel (now Private residence)
The Market Street Chapel, built in 1855, served as a chapel and African American mission site for Bridge Street Presbyterian Church. Located adjacent to Bell Court, The Market Street Chapel was the center of African American community life in west Georgetown. The structure served as an alternative location where African Americans were squirreled into one of the three galleries, the remaining two reserved for the white congregation. White ministers refused to hold African American babies for baptizing., they were baptized in Rock Creek Park. After serving as a place for worship service and other church activities for Calvary Methodist Episcopal and St. John Episcopal, the Chapel became a private residence in 1925.
(Source: Georgetown University)